Society for Anglo-Chinese Understanding (SACU). Information about China, language and culture.
Chinese poetry, calligraphy and painting are linked as the “Three Perfections”. These websites & books give the original Chinese characters as well as translations:
- Award-winning translator David Hinton – Includes Tang greats Li Po, Du Fu and Wang Wei. (Uses Wade-Giles romanisation).
- Du Fu’s ‘Spring in the Ruined City: Selected Poems’ translated by Jonathan Waley.
- Chinese Poems -Traditional & Simplified Chinese characters, pinyin and translation. The FAQs offer an introduction to Chinese poetry.
- 300 Tang Poems – Traditional Chinese characters and translation (Downloadable file)
- Find out more about famous Chinese Song dynasty poetess Li Qingzhao.
- Calligraphy poems recited.
- Books about Chinese Poetry:
- Sinolingua Abridged Chinese Classic series 100 Ancient Chinese Poems. Original Chinese, pinyin and translations, mostly Tang Dynasty, plus CD.
- BBC Radio 3 programme on the music of the Yi and Hani ethnic minorities in Yunnan province.
- Classical Chinese Philosophy: Legalism; Daoism; Confucianism, the Han Synthesis
- Chinese history: early sources; Silk Roads; Warring States
- Artefacts: bronze bell; wall painting
- Historical figures ancient and recent, in Chinese Characters – from the female Emperor Wu Zetian to Bruce Lee.
- China: As History is my Witness – how history informs today’s China.
- FutureLearn: Chinese History and Chinese books.
- Coursera: Chinese language and culture.
- Khan Academy.
- Search MOOC list for other options.
NOTE: CBPS is not responsible for the content of any of these sites.